Friday, September 30, 2011

It looks like a boat!

Now that the panels are spliced together and the parts drawn and cut from the panels, it is time to actually start to build a boat.

The first thing I noticed when looking at the strong back was that there was no easy way to position the first panel to the strong back.  I fixed this by making small clips that I aligned with the bottom of the strong back and screwed to each strong back bulkhead.
As the plan instructed, I installed the first panel at the bottom of the strong back on one side by using two drywall screws at each bulkhead.  I made sure I extended the aft end of the panel past the last bulkhead by the same thickness as the transom.


Once the panel was attached on one side, I attached the opposite panel on the other side.  This assures your hull will be straight and not shaped like a banana.  I also verified the straightness with a string tensioned across the top of the strong back.

I continued by installing the next row of panels.
When all the side panels were attached to the strong back, I drilled adjacent holes along the length, 5 per bulkhead space, and I used zip ties to stitch the panels together.  I was concerned by the shape of the hull and the sags between the bulkheads until I zip tied everything together.  Doing this pulls all the panels to their proper curve.  The last step was to attach the bottom panel or the top part on the strong back.


I now have a complete hull that needs to be epoxied together, joints taped and fully glassed.  Since I had a full set of float parts, I decided to wait on the epoxy, fiberglass work until I got the first float stitched to the strong back.  Here are the photos of the same steps used to complete the first float.



On a last note, I've been trying to think of a good name for my Scarab.  So far I have "Cygnus" meaning "the swan."  I think this name is very fitting since trimarans are very graceful under sail.  I found this poem that is fitting.  It is by Susa Morgan Black....

Swan of beauty, swan of grace
A queen among her ancient race
She glides across the mirrored lake
No ripple does the surface break

It is very fitting.  However, recently I've come up with a second name, "Cricket" because of the annoying little cricket that has moved in to my garage and sings to me constantly when I'm working!!  I'll let you know what I decide.

Fair winds!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment