Monday, August 15, 2011

Centerboard is finally complete

While I was back in "material search" mode, I decided to complete the centerboard. 

I left the board shaped and glassed the last time I worked on it.  The only work need was a final sanding and finish.  I was surprised at the amount of sanding needed to get the board smooth  and sleek.  I was also amazed at the number of pin holes uncovered during the sanding.  I sanded the board smooth, applied a fairing compound of thickened epoxy and sanded again.  This is the final result.
I also needed a stainless steel bushing for the pivot bushing.  I ordered some stainless steel tubing with the right I.D and a thick wall so I could include some grooves to help bond it in the board.  I had my machinist friend make the bushing and it turned out nicely.
I finished the centerboard by applying two coats of marine paint.  A funny story here.  I wanted the board to be white so I ordered a quart of bottom paint from Jamestown Distributors in the color called "shark white."  Who would have thought that shark white was actually gray!  I didn't!
More to come....

I'm rethinking foam vs plywood.  Its been a few months since I checked prices so I plan to requote the foam....

No comments:

Post a Comment