Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Work has started again.

I had to take a break from building my Scarab 650 because of a neck injury.  My winter was spent with many visits to Chiropractors, Physical Therapists and Doctors.  Everything is better now so I have started to work once again on my boat.

Quick update on the Centerboard:
The Center board is fully glassed and needs finish work and paint.  I also need to fabricate the pivot bushing and install it.  I will upload photos when complete.

Update on Beams:
The mold has been waxed with 5 coats of mold release wax.  I am waiting for a shipment of epoxy to arrive and then I will attempt to mold my first beam.  I'm very nervous about molding the first part! 

Update on Materials:
Over the winter I've been contacting suppliers of foam to get quotations.  I'm very disappointed at the cost of foam.  I've also priced plywood and I have found the foam is 3 times the cost of plywood.  So, having said that, I'm rethinking my "wood free" boat comment.  I'm working with one, last ditch, supplier in Minneapolis as a source of foam.  I have not received their quotation at the time of this posting.  I'm hoping it will come in better than the rest.  More to come.

That is all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment