Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Beam Mold Complete

I finally completed the beam mold for my Scarab 650.  The time to build the mold was 16.5 hours.  Here are a couple of photos of the completed mold.
The mold was constructed using 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for the sides and 1/4" plywood for the bottom and flanges.  The corner fillets were constructed using epoxy thickened with wood flour.  After meticulously sanding and filling all dings and dents, the mold was coated using tooling gel coat.


Before I can start to lay up beams, I need to apply multiple coats of mold release wax to the mold.  I will do that when I'm ready to get started.  Right now I need to find a source for the different types of fiberglass cloth that will be needed to lay up the molds.  I'm currently searching for this material.  I anticipate laying up the beams during the winter.

Next step: Centerboard

No comments:

Post a Comment